Negotiating a good deal can be very profitable when you buy a car.
Being a good negotiator doesn't have to be difficult. And when you consider that negotiating will almost always get you a better deal, you'll be more inclined to try it.
When you are trying to negotiate with a car dealer, you're dealing with an expert. You will need to know how to get through their "car speak" in order to be successful.
Once you learn to calculate your offer and know what the dealer paid for it, you should get a copy of the paperwork from a friend that recently bought a car, so that you can become familiar with what you will see on your paperwork. They are all generally the same.
If you've followed these tips, and are pre-approved for a loan, you must next focus on getting in and out of the dealership as quickly as possible. Otherwise, the salesman will certainly find more loopholes to hike up your costs if you stay.
Here are a few tips to successful negotiating.
- Remain positive and confident
- Don't talk down to your opponent
- Show up prepared and ready to counter anything that may come up
- Bring ads from other dealerships with you
- Finance your loan before you arrive at the dealership so as to avoid paying unnecessary extra fees